Mr. Chapman received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Wyoming in 1976. He worked as a special assistant in the criminal division for the Wyoming Attorney General, during and after law school. He was appointed and served as the Laramie County Public Defender in 1977.
In July 1978, Mr. Chapman was appointed Wyoming’s first State Public Defender by Governor Ed Herschler. He established offices and hired lawyers in all 23 Wyoming Counties, hired a new staff of 35, edited and published the Public Defender Systems Criminal Defense Form Manual, which is still in use by the Public Defenders, and tried seven murder cases around the State as Public Defender. Mr. Chapman has been in private practice since November, 1980.
Mr. Chapman’s legal practice specifically involves insurance bad faith, serious personal injury, emphasizing head, brain and spine injuries and wrongful death; complex business and other litigation & litigation management, professional practice and licensing consulting, and a wide variety of criminal defense matters ranging from traffic court to capital homicide.
He is currently the president of the Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association for 2016–2017. Mr. Chapman practices from offices in Jackson Hole Wyoming, Casper Wyoming and his home office in Kelly Wyoming. He’s married and has five children. His daughter Emma is a December 2016 graduate of Seattle University School of Law. Daughter Casey is a businesswoman in Casper, Wyoming. Daughter Hannah is a medical student at University of Washington School of Medicine. Daughter Anne is a partner in Mitchell | Stein | Carey, a Phoenix law firm, specializing in criminal defense.
Son Will is a high school senior in Jackson hole.
- University of Wyoming, College of Law, Laramie, Wyoming 1976 J.D.
- University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming 1973 B.S. in Sociology
- Wyoming, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. District Court District of Wyoming, 1976
- Wyoming Public Defender Manual. 1978
- AV Designation Given By Martindale Hubbell Law Directory
- Best Lawyers in America Designation for the past 20 years
- Wells Fargo Bank Wyoming, N.A. v. Hodder 144 P.3d 401 Wyo., 2006
- Fox v. Tanner, 101 P3d 939 (Wyo 2004)
- Smith v. Northwest Financial Acceptance, Inc. 129 F.3d 1408 C.A.10 (Wyo.), 1997
- Oukrop v. Wasserburger, 755 P2d 233 (Wyo 1988)
- Brown v. City of Casper 248 P.3d 1136 (wyo 2011)
- State v. Meenan as special prosecutor CR AC NO. 15959-V
- Homax Oil Sales, Inc.
- Baillys Plumbing and Heating
- Plains Tire and Battery inc.
- Wyoming Cardiopulmonary Inc.
- Central Wyoming Senior Center
- BOP Inc.
- B&B Tool
- Tom Davis m.d.
- Davis ENT
- Storm King investments
- State of Wyoming Attorney General as special prosecutor – 2003
- Town of Evansville, 1996-2004
- Injured persons throughout the State of Wyoming
- Persons charged with crimes; State and Federal
- 85% of Practice devoted to Litigation
- Various Subjects – Criminal and Civil Law, Wyoming Trial Lawyers Assn., 1984-2013
- Brain and Head Injuries Seminars WTLA various years
- Supervision of legal staff (ethics) 2002 Wyoming State Bar
- Defending Drunk Drivers NBI various years
- Wyoming State Representative, 1981-1982
- Wyoming State Bar Association
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association (board member)
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association (Current president)
- Wyoming Public Defender, Director, 1978-1980
- Laramie County Public Defender, Director, 1976-1978
- Representing Various Individuals With Insurance Disputes, 1982-2016
- Sigma Chi
- Serious injury
- Head, brain and spine injury
- Semi tractor wrecks
- Rig and oilfield injuries
- Insurance disputes
- Criminal defense
- High asset divorce
- professional licensure and contract disputes